Trinity Pipe Organ
In 1893 a contract was signed with the organ firm of Warren & Son of Toronto for a two-manual pipe organ for the sum of $1,450. On July 15, 1894 the organ was dedicated. Miss Martha Veit was the organist, at a salary of $40 per year, and a bellows operator for the organ received $10 annually.
The Church Council of Trinity contracted with the Principal Pipe Organ Company of Woodstock in May of 1969 for ‘the supply and installation of a new pipe organ, incorporating several organ pipes from the existing pipe organ…’ The entire organ was fully guaranteed for 10 years and the total cost of the organ was $11,565.00.
Dedication for this, ‘The Soldiers Memorial Organ’, took place on November 15, 1970. It was dedicated to the memory of the men who made supreme sacrifice in both World Wars.
The organ contract called for two manual keyboards and pedal oak console, designed and finished to match the Church furniture.
There were 61 keys on each of the Great and Swell manuals, with 32 on the pedal board. There were 33 engraved stopkeys located directly above the Swell Manual and running the length of the keyboard. In addition, there was a balanced expression pedal for use with the Swell organ, and a balanced crescendo pedal.
All pipe actions were of the electro-pneumatic type. The Rohrgedackt pipes that are visible are “speaking” pipes as well as ornamental.
The great organ is made up of 370 pipes. The chimes were installed later due to a lack of parts coming from the U.S.A. There are 283 pipes in the Swell organ and the pedal board plays 173 pipes.
Of the 826 pipes, 196 were new from the previous organ.
Karl Wittig was bestowed the title Organist Emeritus in 1985, after playing the Church organ for 37 years.