If you have a desire for chocolate pudding or chocolate pie --this recipe hits the spot and is simple for you to make
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (chopped)*
- 2 egg yolks or 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, blend together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk, mixing well.
- Microwave at High for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until mixture is smooth, thickened and clear.
- Add chocolate and stir until melted.
- Stir a small amount of hot pudding quickly into the egg yolks. Return egg mixture to hot pudding, mixing well.
- Microwave at Medium High for 1 to 3 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until smooth and thickened.
- Add butter and vanilla. Stir until butter is melted. Pour into serving dishes or a pre-baked pie crust.
Makes 4 servings.
*A chocolate substitute is 6 tablespoons cocoa and 2 tablespoons oil.
Vanilla Pudding – Omit chocolate.
Butterscotch Pudding - Substitute brown sugar for the white sugar. Increase butter to 3 tablespoons.